Friday, August 21, 2009

F is the new S


"kifmat hi kharab hai fali"..
-- Charlie , Kaminey (2009)

I will never regret waiting for 1 hour for a transport to get back to my house at 1 a.m. on the deserted Lakdi Ka Pool stand last Sunday. Why ? 'Coz I was was still in a state of fuzz and feeling something "fexy" about the last 3 hours i spent in the talkie , yeah..i was totally amazed and captivated. I am a big Tarantino fan And I want to tell you Mr Tarantino , This is the brave new Bollywood.

No , this ain't any review . I don't want people to go to the movie with a pre-notion or expectations. Walk in with an empty mind ( but should be a working one :P) . I still can't work out why this movie works. It doesn't have cheap comedy , lavish sets or a teen-flavor , but everyone loves it. The main thing it has is us...as the real people , our mean sides . It makes you laugh amidst the ugliness of violence in perhaps India's first real dark comedy ( "Jane bhi do Yaaron" was another genuine attempt though ). The last shot , in which the characters walk with bullets flying all around reminded me of something . With violence all around you, you sense innocence caught in the crossfire . And finally you come away with a great sense of the pointlessness of it all. Many stories told separately and finally come together in a great revelation..discovering the "kamina" in ourselves.

They are taking chances and winning. It was Dev D . Now its Kaminey .The new age directors. Hats off :).

No comments: